Sunday 28 April 2013

Southern Italy

As promised, I am blogging after my trip...it's been some time since we returned and I'm ready now...(as Amy would put it :P) to be jealous of my past self. 

The trip involved a 9 hour coach ride from Bologna to Napoli (Naples). After essentially no sleep, we arrived and embarked upon our day trip to Capri. This island is potentially the most beautiful place I have ever been to in my life. Everywhere you looked could have been a postcard, and having done some previous research on it, I was excited to see the idyllic visions come to life. 

Rather than bore you with written descriptions, I will give you what you're all here for, the pictures! 






Capri was honestly beyond beautiful. BUT you need to be at prime fitness level to tour it properly, let's just say that there were several points in the day where we genuinely believed we would die. The terrain is either extreme uphill/steps or extreme downhill...we left that island feeling not only like the real athletes we are, but a little worse for wear.

For the evening we returned to our hostel which was, a little cramped to say the least. There were 7 (meant to be 8) of us in one room, with one small shower/combined toilet...and 2 plugs..it was, let's say...interesting.

The following day was the day I was very excited for, the climbing of Vesuvio (Vesuvius) and then the trip to Pompei. 






The climb up Vesuvio was pretty difficult considering how much our legs were aching from Capri and the rays from the burning heat as we clambered our way up the treacherous volcano. But we made it to the top, which was...breathtaking.

After lunch we headed over to Pompei, a very sombre experience...it's pretty hard to believe what happened there but if you can ever visit, I would really recommend it! It's absolutely huge and we only got to see a tiny portion of it so I would love to go back! 




I found the last picture (above) pretty chilling as we were in the ruins of Pompei with Vesuvio in the background looming over it, warning it that it still has the power. 

The next day, with never ending sore legs, we took on the tour of Napoli. A few of us weren't feeling so well, I think perhaps a touch of sunstroke (our own fault for not having hats!)...Napoli is a really unique city, it's pretty picturesque from the sidelines, inside the heart of the city it seems overcrowded yet vibrant.





By the final day, everyone was pretty wiped out. There had been a party in the hostel, which I didn't attend because I felt unwell, so either from feeling unwell or hungover, it's safe to say nobody was looking forward to the 9 hour coach ride ahead!

Just before we departed back to Bologna, we took a trip to Sorrento. I was actually really excited to go because I know of some people who got married there and it looked beautiful. The combination of not feeling too well and lack of time meant we didn't actually get to see that much of the town but I look forward to perhaps visiting again one day. 


Overall, the trip was an amazing experience I will treasure in my memories, potentially one of my favourites from the entire year abroad.

Now I am back in the reality of Bologna. For many people here, their Erasmus year is not worth anything in terms of their final degree mark...for me it's worth 30%. The amount of work I currently have to do over the next few weeks is terrifying,  I mean, it's literally impossible, so I am currently trying to figure out what I can get away with not doing.

It's such a shame that I can't enjoy my last month and a half here like the rest of the students, instead mine is filled with deadlines, essays and exams. I spent over a month revising for my exams last year when they were worth even less, now my deadlines are only a few weeks away and I'm still yet to even read the texts never mind start revising.

It makes me just want to go home where I know the deadlines will be over, for a few months at least. But I must slap me, and tell myself to enjoy my last 6 weeks(ish) here.

Obviously this blog post whilst necessary is complete procrastination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment